What Will Happen at the People’s Climate March And Other Important Information
THE MARCH ROUTE
Assembly Location: Central Park West, between 65th and 86th streets.
- Enter on 65th, 72nd, 77th, 81st, or 86th street.
- On Sunday afternoon there will be a street fair on Columbus Ave. between 66th St. and 86th St., but it will not impede access to the assembly area on Central Park West.
- The march will begin at 11:30 am.
- March down Central Park West and go east on 59th Street
- Turn onto 6th Ave. and go south to 42nd Street
- Turn right onto 42nd Street and go west to 11th Ave
- Turn left on 11th Ave. and go south to 34th Street
End Location: 11th Ave. in the streets between 34th Street and 38th Street
THE MARCH LINEUP
We want to make sure the People’s Climate March tells the story of today’s climate movement in all its parts – so we’re trying something new, and arranging the contingents of the march in a way that helps us thread our many messages together.
If you’re simply looking to march through the streets of New York with more people than have ever come together before to demand action on climate change, head to 86th st and Central Park West.
If you’re looking to find a specific group of people to march with, or want to hear more about the narrative of the march and the groups, visit the lineup page here.
THE PEOPLE’S CLIMATE MARCH CODE OF CONDUCT
Agreed to by the People’s Climate March Host Committee on July 17, 2014.
To encourage the broadest and most diverse involvement possible, to respect our many communities and the important issues we are supporting, to help create a family-friendly mobilization and to help ensure the safety of all participants, we expect everyone taking part in the People’s Climate March on Sept. 21, 2014 to respect the following agreements:
- We will use no violence (physical or verbal) towards any person.
- We will not destroy or damage property.
- We will promote a tone of respect, honesty, transparency, and accountability in our actions.
- We will not carry anything that can be construed as a weapon, nor possess (or consume) any alcohol or drugs.
- We will all hold each other accountable to respecting these agreements.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE MARCH
Most importantly, bring everyone you know! Help make this the largest call for climate justice imaginable!
Bring things that help communicate the message:
- Make your own signs and banners and t-shirts and flags – be creative
- Carry signs or banners that let people know where you are from – what organization, what city or state, what country
- Remember: only cardboard tubing or string can be used to carry signs, banners, flags, etc.
- Music that does not need amplification is encouraged
Items to bring that will make your day more comfortable:
- Bring some light food and drinks…it will be a long day – Wear comfortable shoes
- Check the weather predictions a day or two before you come and dress appropriately
- If it’s going to be a sunny day, bring sun-screen
WHAT NOT TO BRING TO THE MARCH
- Do not bring any amplified sound systems.
- Do not bring signs, banners or flags that are carried on wooden sticks or metal rods, only cardboard tubing or string is allowed.
- Do not weigh yourself down with unnecessary clothing or other items that you will have to carry all day long…travel lightly.
VOLUNTEER AT THE MARCH
There are a host of tasks that we need volunteers to help with at the PCM on Sept. 21st. Please sign up for a volunteer orientation by filling out the Volunteer Form here.
ACCESS FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
We have been working to make the People’s Climate March as accessible to people with disabilities and have been able to set up several things which we hope will be helpful.
We will have wheelchairs available for people who do not have their own but would like to use one for the day. These will be available at two locations:
- In the assembly area where the elders contingent is gathering. This is on Central Park West at 68th Street. The closest entrance to this area is on 72nd Street, coming from Columbus Ave.
- The second location is on the North West corner of 44th Street and 6th Ave. about 1/2 way through the march route.
Please note: we will only have a limited number of wheelchairs so we will have to make these available on a first come, first serve basis.
Location for People with Disabilities Half Way Through the March
People who want to participate but know they cannot make the whole route can gather on the North West corner of 44th Street and 6th Ave. about 1/2 way through the march route. At some point during the march we will integrate people into the flow of the march, although we cannot at this moment say the exact time that will happen.
Anyone who starts at the assembly location but cannot finish the entire march can leave at this location and rest there.
Bus to Pick Up People
There will be port-o-johns along Central Park West in the assembly area, and at the 11th Ave. location of the closing activities. Many of these will be ADA compliant, and we will add the specific locations of those to this information as soon as possible.
BUS ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE INFORMATION
Bus captains will get block numbers for FREE parking via e-mail – if you haven’t signed up yet, fill out this form – http://bit.ly/transportsignup
- The March starts at 11:30 and ends around 4:30pm. Have your bus drop off between 9:00am and 11:00am before the march. If your bus is dropping off earlier than 8:30am, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the approximate time. Allow yourself time — there may be traffic.
- The police have mandated that passengers will be dropped off at 86th Street between Central Park West and Columbus Ave. You’ll be met by bus greeters when you arrive. They’ll give you important info about the march and where to go. PLEASE DON’T DISEMBARK UNTIL A BUS GREETER HAS COME TO SEE YOU.
- You’ll be receiving your allotted block and bus number via email and a phone call the week of Monday, September 15th. There will also be a map. Once you have that, please make a large sign with your bus number to display in the bus window.
- The police have mandated all buses have an assigned block number. You won’t get a FREE bus parking spot without one. Fill out this form to get one – http://bit.ly/transportsignup – if you haven’t already signed-up to coordinate buses with the PCM Transportation Team.
- After the march, you will meet your bus south and west of 11th ave. and 34th st. Your bus should drive there after dropping off passengers for FREE parking.
- If you are leaving promptly after the march, please have your buses pick up your riders at 4:30pm. Remind all your passengers not to be late for your departure time — consider setting your departure time 20mins before your actual time.
HOUSING AT THE MARCH
Can you offer housing to people coming to NYC from out of town? Do you need housing in NYC? We cannot guarantee housing arrangements for everyone, but you can start by clicking here for more information. Learn More Here